Sunday, December 2, 2007

I give you the Griswold family Christmas tree!

Okay, I will be honest. We didn't actually pick out a tree as big as the Griswold's, but the experience did remind me of "Christmas Vacation." We bought a permit to cut down a tree in the national forest. Telluride is pretty much surrounded by national forest, so we didn't have to go very far. We drove down South Fork Road, which isn't too far from San Miguel County's version of "Whoville." Too bad I don't have any pictures of that little Whoville at night with the full moon shining down on it. I'm still wondering which peak the Grinch lives on up there.


We went with Maralee's first choice after stomping around in the deep snow for awhile. It was really tough to pick a tree because so many of them are 50 feet high and lots of the trees of reasonable height are really scraggly. We had to cut one down at least 50 feet from the road and 100 feet from the river. The tree we finally decided on is not very tall, probably the first time we've had a tree shorter than me, but we do have a small space to put it in the apartment.


I caught an action shot!!




Aw, we killed it!! :( Actually, it helps the national forests for people to cut down Christmas trees because it thins the forest out to make room for more trees to grow.


I hopped up here and pretended to help for this picture.





After we got the tree inside, we had to pick off large clumps of snow and ice and let the tree dry before we could decorate it. Our living room is sooooo tiny and no room for a tree, so we have it in my office. Not a very picturesque place with the junked up bookcases surrounding it. We have a tradition of making smores after we decorate the tree and we also watched one of my favorite movies, "Elf."

Maralee has really been bugging me to get presents wrapped, and so far my excuse has been that I won't wrap presents without a tree. I guess I'd better get some gifts wrapped for her now or I'll never hear the end of it. :)

3 comments:

Tom Ufer said...

The tree came out nicely ! I think it's really cool you were able to chop it down yourselves.

Barbara said...

Looks like so much fun!!!! The tree turned out beautiful!!! What a great new tradition.
Yea, Momma, get wrappin'!!!

xoxo

Kelli said...

Your tree is so pretty! I still haven't gotten ours up yet. I've been sick this week. But I hope to get started today or tomorrow!