Saturday, April 26, 2008

30 Minute Meals? Heck no!!

I'm a big fan of Rachael Ray, her shows and cookbooks. She's really the only talk show host I even watch these days. Regis and Kelli air at the same time as Rachael, so I gave up Regis after watching him since I was a teenager. Here's my problem...I have never been able to cook a "30-minute meal" in 30 minutes. Maybe if I had a team of helpers that set my kitchen up I could do it. Plus she never tells you that it will take 30 minutes or longer to clean up the kitchen because she uses several different pots and pans for a lot of her recipes. The good thing is, every recipe I've tried of hers has been great!! As Rachael says, YUM-O! I've decided I want to buy an old-fashioned cast iron skillet so I can properly cook all of her skillet recipes that go from stove-top to oven. I plan to buy a new Lodge Logic skillet that will probably last forever and maybe be passed down to my kids and grandkids, or sold in a garage sale. :) You've got to watch out for some of those recipes, though, because Rachael uses some expensive ingredients for some of them. I needed a block of Parmesan Reggiano cheese recently and I wasn't sure how much it was going to cost. Of course I expected it to be a little pricey in the Mt. Village grocery store, but I was shocked that it was $13! It's a good cheese, but I recently sent an e-mail to the Rachael Ray magazine asking their opinion on substituting regular Parmesan next time.

My favorite two recipes that Jay and I have cooked most often is her Cream of Cheddar Soup and Lime Chicken Avocado Salad. Jay makes the salad and I cook the soup. I am unable to find these recipes on-line, but if you're interested in trying them feel free to e-mail me and I'll send it to you. I did find a link to one of the newest recipes I tried and it's really good if you like hot wings. It's the
Buffalo Chicken Pot Pie she made on her show on CBS. This isn't one of the 30 minute meals since it actually has to bake for 30 minutes, but it is delicious. We also loved the Breaded Pork Chops with Sage Cream Gravy which made me realize how much patience it takes to make gravy at a high altitude.


I suppose I'm thinking more about food because this is the quiet time of year in Telluride with nothing much to do. During the "off-season" the gondola and many shops and restaurants are closed, and we are just waiting for the snow to melt so we can hike and get on the Jeep trails. This week Jay was in Greeley for training, so I spent my time cleaning out the kids rooms upstairs. I took lots of stuff to the free box in town and even more stuff to the trash (Sshhhh, don't tell the girls. They haven't even noticed anything missing.)


Maralee has had a fun week. She was happy that everyone in school liked her new haircut. Ms. Overly even sent me an e-mail telling me how cute her hair is and that it looks like Maralee grew 2 inches taller over spring break. Maralee also lost a tooth and my parents wanted a picture of her tooth missing, so here it is.



After we came back from our Oklahoma trip, we kept Ari and Kristen's guinea pig, Lou Lou. Maralee had so much fun with her and enjoyed watched her eating her vegetables and hopping around. Garrett is enjoying his new job at the movie theater. He usually gets one of us in for free and gives Savanna free pop and popcorn. Last night we finally got to see "Horton Hears a Who." Savanna is having a blast on her new skateboard and some of the girls at school are starting to be interested in skateboarding now.

Hugs to all of our family and friends!! If you want to visit us, come stay with us in the Shandoka penthouse. We promise you won't be disappointed. :)

4 comments:

Tom Ufer said...

When I worked in New York City, I used to get tickets to see Emeril when he taped his shows. It's amazing to see how little he actually cooks. He has several helpers that do all the prep and most of the work is done during breaks (which last longer than the actual commercial breaks).

The Eddy's said...

Maralee and Lou Lou are so cute together! I am so grateful that you guys took her for us...we didn't have to worry about her at all! Maybe she could spend the night at your house sometime so they can play again!?!: )

I'm glad that we are all home now, we've got to get together for dinner soon. I give you a call in a day or two. Love ya!

The Eddy's said...

P.S. on the Rachel Ray...I'm glad to hear that her recipes are good, I've only ever tried one and it turned out great. The other comment I have is to heartily encourage you to purchase the cast iron skillet! It's the only skillet I have right now, I use it for everything and I absolutely LOVE it! and I have a few yum-o recipes of my own that I could pass along to you! : )

soupisnotafingerfood said...

Get the skillet. I have my grandmother's. I bust it out when I want things to taste just like when she made 'em... God rest her soul. even better, though, than a new one? Find a used one, already seasoned with love and years of good food.