Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rainy Day at Alta Lakes and Gold King Basin

Tuesday, July 22, 2008, was a rainy day and Jay and I wanted to get out of the house. We've been spending so much time with the kids that we were all driving each other nuts!! Garrett and I had an eye appointment in the morning and the eye doctor had dilated my eyes, which left me with nothing to do around the house but sit and wear sunglasses. My distance vision was fine, so Jay and I drove up to Alta Lakes and Gold King Basin, which the kids really had no interest in at all. It was a nice peaceful drive.



The dirt road up to Alta Lakes is an easy one and well-marked right off of highway 145. The first five photos are of the Alta ghost town.





Lizard Head, Mt. Wilson and Wilson Peak towering over the ghost town of Alta.





Before driving up to the lakes, we took a side road we had never been on before and came to this sign LIFT 10. What?! I'm sure we weren't one of the "authorized vehicles" allowed through this gate, but we couldn't resist. The gate was open and is probably a road used only by the ski resort.



The road ended on the Galloping Goose ski run. Apparently we were driving on the road that is the trail for cross country skiing and snowshoeing.



A snow-less Galloping Goose ski run looked really weird.



We got out of there as quick as we could when someone went riding by on a mountain bike! Next we drove around the lakes. Like I said, the road up to the lakes is an easy one, but the road around the lakes can be difficult due to rocks and mud.






A side road leads up into Gold King Basin which is probably a moderate trail. I actually enjoy the basin more than Alta Lakes. This is the view of the lake in Gold King Basin.



The lake with Wilson Peak to the left.



The Gold King Mine.


I was standing on top of the mine tailings at an elevation of 11,575 feet when I took this picture. I saw some lightening in the distance and thought we'd better high tail it off of the tailings. :)

No comments: