Wednesday, September 10, 2008

First Snow of the Season

I knew it was raining when I woke up this morning, but after opening my sleepy eyes and looking out the window, I saw that it had snowed on Ajax! September 10 is officially the first snow of the season. I knew it would probably warm up and melt away, and I was right. I took several photos today as the weather and view changed.
It only snowed at the higher elevations above timberline. It was brought to my attention today by my friend Phil that a true Coloradoan calls it the "timberline" and not "treeline" like I mentioned in a mass e-mail I sent out this morning. I knew that didn't look right! Furthermore, my friend Steve posted a bulletin on Myspace about me reporting the snow, and he had also posted it as timberline. Even though the definition of the two words are the same, I'll call it timberline from now on so Phil won't call me a newbie.
The snow completely melted off of Ajax.
Now there's barely any snow left up there, but I'm sure there will be more in the next few weeks!

1 comment:

Ivar Ivrig said...

Great photos. I love when the first snow falls in the mounteains. It is beautiful :-)