Thursday, October 9, 2008

West Dallas Creek Road

Ouray County Road 9, otherwise known as West Dallas Creek Road, is a must see!! The road is only 8 miles long off of the Dallas Divide, highway 62. There are some seriously jaw dropping views along here. Much of the road passes through Ralph Lauren's ranch, the Double RL. The national forest access is beyond this private property. The only requirement that I have read is that when you drive through the gate, leave it the way you found it, whether it was open or closed. Tuesday the gate was open. Much of the road can be driven in any car. It is easy to tell when the private property part of the road ends because it becomes much more rocky and bumpy, and there is a water crossing at the Dallas Creek. If you want to drive to the end of the road, a four-wheel drive is probably required. In the spring and early summer I'm sure the water crossing is high and the road becomes more muddy the farther you go.
This house has such a great view!! I would love to own this ranch. That's Mt. Sneffels on the right.
Dallas Peak straight ahead! Dallas is the most difficult 13er to climb, with a difficulty rating at 5.3. I'm okay with looking at it from here.

We interrupted a cattle drive. It looked like the cattle had all been moved to the back part of the property instead of along the highway where you usually see them. You can order a Ralph Lauren steak at the restaurant La Piazza in Mountain Village. I've looked up the price on the menu and I just have to say, that steak had better come with a little gold Polo symbol on the top if I ever order one. Ralph Lauren cattle drive video.

video

5 comments:

Ivar Ivrig said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful :-)

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal

Lois said...

In one of your pictures I noticed some trees with red/orange leaves. What kind of trees are those? They seem different from the golden aspens and I had been wondering what other fall colors there were in this area. I love the cattle drive video! My grandfather had a cattle ranch here in Florida.

Lisa Wilson said...

Aspens can also turn orange and red, very firey-looking sometimes. I don't know what the other trees are in my pictures. There are some short bushes around that are turning dark red right now, too.

Barb said...

WOW!! Beautiful, & love the comments!!! Wish I were there!!
xoxo