Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Wintery Moab

We took a little break from skiing this week due to the crowds of people on the slopes that are here on vacation. I really wanted to see Moab in the winter, especially since they've had so much snow. The La Sal Mountains have a lot of snow now. I'm not sure what the smoke is here that was near the Naturita area, but it did make a cool photo.
Much of the highway between Telluride and Moab is open range. I've never seen cattle in the road in the summer, but they were sure on the pavement to get out of the snow this time.
It was a cold day in Moab, but sunny, so we decided to go to Arches National Park and do some hiking. First on our list was the Delicate Arch hike.
The beginning of the trail was pretty icy. We chose to walk in the snow or mud when possible.
Thank goodness the snow has melted off of the steeper parts of the trail. It was 27 degrees, a sharp contrast to the last time we did this hike at 100 degrees.
The hike to the Delicate Arch is 3 miles round trip and Maralee did great. She didn't stop too often to rest, either.
The scariest part of the hike is the narrow ledge. I'm sure many people are too scared to go across here when there is no snow or ice. The trick was to walk on the edge in the snow and not on the ice that was against the rock wall. I highly suggest bringing some YakTrax and I definitely plan to if we ever do this again.
Garrett and Savanna are under the Delicate Arch here, probably too tiny to see them.
A picture of someone taking a picture.
"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
I think this is a new favorite quote of mine. I saw it in the Arches gift shop and it said it was by Henry David Thoreau. When I Googled it, it came up as a quote by Confucius. I'm not sure what to think about Arches selling books printed with the wrong name. This is one of the best photos I've ever taken, definitely one of my favorites ever. Maralee was very proud to complete the hike.
Now for the part of the story that I wasn't sure I wanted to share on my blog, but since Garrett is okay, this is what happened. He decided to do a little butt sledding at Arches National Park. Not really, he just slipped on the ice and slid down aways as we were at the end of the ledge part of the trail. The purple line shows where his slide started and the direction he went down. He could see the area he would be stopping below him, and used his arm to steer in the best direction. Whew!!
This is Garrett getting up from his sliding fall. He had a very clear and sunny area to walk on back to the trail. Maybe we discovered a new sport, butt sledding Moab, Utah. No, really I don't suggest it. Thank God we all made it back safe and sound.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Sweet! We took that hike to delicate arch with some very young kids a short while ago. That narrow part looks way worse with snow on it! Cool pictures!!:)

Ms. Hays said...

Very beautiful pictures - Oh who am I kidding... They're phenomenally GORGEOUSLY Breathtakingly Fantastically BEAUTIFUL!!! I love them all! This page is crammed pack full of all the mountain scenes I absolutely love!!! I tend to get over dramatic at times, but I can't help it when it comes to mountains!!! Don't mind me! lol