Monday, June 22, 2009

The 36th Annual Telluride Bluegrass Festival

I spent a few hours at the Bluegrass Festival on Sunday afternoon. This is the big festival that can make our town grow from 2,000 people to 20,000. With a some town jobs, like Jay's, it seems there are preparations year-round to accommodate this big crowd. Jay works several days in a row and is completely exhausted by the end. One important thing I have never witnessed is the daily "running of the tarps." People line up at the park in the wee hours of the morning to get a number for who gets in first when the gates open at 10 am. People go running in like crazy to get their perfect festival spot. I usually sit somewhere on the side in the back since we hardly ever sit in our chairs, anyway. The girls would rather spend all of their time in the family tent area.
Bluegrass is a great time to people-watch!
This is the first time a photo has been taken of me with my new camera.
Maralee spends most of her time running around at the festivals.
Can you see the dust devil spinning in the center behind the crowd?
This is the reason I only spent a few hours at the festival this year, even missed seeing Emmylou Harris. Kristen came to town!!! Ari was here working as a Reserve Deputy, and after spending time with her sister, Kristen arrived around 4 p.m. We only got to see each other for one evening before they drove back up to Grand Junction to fly home to LA. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can both come back for Blues and Brews.

No comments: