Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hurricane Pass and Calfornia Pass/Gulch

The Corkscrew Gulch trail leads right onto Hurricane Pass. Last summer we did part of Hurricane Pass before it was open. The cloudy skies made the scenery look quite a bit different this time.
There are still huge walls of snow to drive through before reaching the summit. Hurricane is an easy trail, rated on the harder side of easy.
The summit sign must have been damaged in the winter. Jay found it laying on the ground. Hurricane Pass reaches an elevation of 12,407 feet.
View of Lake Como from the summit of Hurricane Pass.
Hurricane Pass leads right into California Pass. This is the point where Poughkeepsie Gulch begins, a difficult trail that Jay wants to drive.
As you can see, Poughkeepsie is still snowed in.
I can't imagine what the story is behind this!
Summit of California Pass, elevation 12,930 feet.
Savanna is trying to catch some hail here. It hailed on us for a couple of minutes at the summit.
We walked up the steep hill behind the summit sign, and when I reached the top I saw Wetterhorn, Matterhorn and Uncompahgre Peaks. It felt like running into friends that I hadn't seen in a long time.
Zoomed in view of Wetterhorn, Matterhorn and Uncompahgre. It is still weird to think about Jay and Garrett standing on top of Uncompaghre last year.
I'm sure the view of Lake Como from California Pass is much better when it isn't dark and cloudy.
Descending into California Gulch.
We had seen someone hiking through the snow in the gulch. I assume this is his camp. Looks like a great place for tent camping.
At the bottom of the gulch we stopped to decide which way we wanted to go from there. A couple drove up to us from Placer Gulch asking if the way we came from would take them back to Silverton. I just happened to be taking a video!
video

2 comments:

Lois said...

I like the video Lisa! I could hear John Denver singing in the background. It's funny because my daughter and I were singing along with him to the song "Country Roads" when we were in the mountains last week! They were playing it at the restaurant where we were having dinner one night.

motoroz said...

Just found your blog! Love it. I did a jeep trip from Ouray to Engineer Pass, Animas Forks, Corkscrew Gulch this past June. It was my first.

I posted about it on my blog. I just started a couple of months ago.

www.takingitoutside.com