Thursday, June 25, 2009

Placer Gulch

After completing California Pass we had the option of driving to Animas Forks or taking the long way around through Placer Gulch. Since we have been to Animas so many times, we picked Placer Gulch even though it was pouring down rain the whole drive. I have read that this is a great location to see wildflowers, but it's still a little early in this area. The gulch is full of old mines, mills and buildings. If the weather had been better it would have been fun to explore the area a little more. I think this is the Sound Democrat Mill.
The gray building is the Treasure Mountain Mill. I couldn't get a good photo of Treasure Mountain due to the weather.
For the last two photos I used the Picasa "warmify" because I liked the effect it had on them.
Treasure Mountain Boardinghouse.
This waterfall was right by the road. Yes, we were listening to John Denver!! It was totally appropriate for the scenery.

6 comments:

~Cheryl said...

Just when I think it couldn't get any better, you throw in John Denver! Oh ~ Heavenly!

Barb said...

Beautiful pix, and of course I love jeep trails, waterfalls, & even John Denver!!!!
xoxo

DaveO said...

Nice photos, Lisa. Athough the rain falls down, it's still nice to be up there. BTW, more coming from our direction for the next week!

Lois said...

Even in not so perfect weather, you're pictures are beautiful Lisa!

Barb said...

Hi Lisa,
Catching up with you after a few days "off" hiking with company. Your pictures of the Pass and Gulch are awesome. My favorite is at the top of the Pass looking into the Gulch - the sky looks so foreboding! I also liked seeing that wall of snow. My girlfriend who was just visiting came from a few days in Ouray - she said they encountered lots of snow on hikes at higher elevation. Had to smile at your video and music - I used my Sony to video a rushing stream on the hike yesterday - didn't have John singing, though. The rapids were so deafening, I'm sure he wouldn't have been able to sing loud enough! Enjoyed your last several posts.

Lois said...

I like the waterfall video Lisa! from James (Lois is my Granny and she helped me post this comment)