Friday, July 17, 2009

Telluride Historical Museum

After living here for a little over two years, I finally visited the Telluride Historical Museum. I admit I was lured in by the free rootbeer floats and free admission after the 4th of July parade. My favorite exhibit was for the Tomboy Bride, the book written by Harriet Backus of her experiences living in mining camps, specifically in the town of Tomboy up in Savage Basin at over 11,000 feet in elevation. I have posted many pictures of this area taken as we drove through headed over Imogene Pass. The museum was originally a miner's hospital, and Harriet gave birth to her first child there, which was also the first child born in that hospital.
Check out the old skis!! Thank goodness for modern ski equipment.
Here are a few more photos of the various exhibits. I didn't get to stop and read as much as I would have liked to since Maralee was in a hurry to get back outside to play.

4 comments:

Lois said...

I'll have to put this on my list of places to visit when I finally come back to Telluride, which I do plan to do one day soon! I love that book Tomboy Bride. It's on my coffee table.

EcoRover said...

Hey, those "old" skis look a lot like the wooden Head BCs I still take out for a few days each winter! Another great post, though, and I sure am starting to like your little town. Someday I'll get there. OK, no more blog reading--I'm off to the Brew Pub.

Barb said...

Free rootbeer floats - my favorite! How would you like to prepare Thanksgiving dinner in that kitchen? I actually have a pair of those old skis in my Great Room - also the leather boots.

Jacob said...

Well, now we now what to bribe you with...two years? Free rootbeer floats. That's funny.

It's great looking at the past! I would love to visit that museum...but don't knock the skis...that's what I used as a kid in Minnesota. They didn't work too well, as I recall.