Sunday, August 9, 2009

American Basin

American Basin is located 5 miles from the beginning of Cinnamon Pass from the Animas Forks side. I had seen some beautiful wildflower photos taken here and for some reason we had just never driven into the basin before. As you can see, it was well worth the time to get there!
Most of the flowers looked pretty beaten up, probably from heavy rains this summer. I think these are Orange Sneezeweed.
The larkspur seemed to be doing fine.
I have no idea why Garrett decided to jump around at the top of the waterfall. He did get in trouble for this, but I did catch a cool photo with him mid-air!
These are Porter Aster. For some reason they have a purplish tint to them in this photo, but they were actually white.
The easiest trail for Handies Peak begins in American Basin. Handies reaches an elevation of 14,048 and after we found out what a reasonably easy hike it would be, we might attempt this later. I'm sure Maralee and I could at least make it up to Sloan Lake.
There were a few Columbines, but not near as many as I was hoping for.
A little pika was in the rocks right by me and Maralee.
Handies Peak trailhead sign.
The summit of Cinnamon Pass was pretty windy, but we did have it to ourselves.
American Basin stream.

6 comments:

Lois said...

I love all those wildflowers! It's funny how daring kids can be at that age. I remember my son being like that when I took him to the Grand Canyon when he was in high school. He just about scared me to death!

Barb said...

Lisa - These are wonderful photos. I love that you scolded Garrett AFTER you got the shot! Your wildflowers, even at high altitude, seem to be doing well. We've been getting some really chilly (low 30's) nights. Next week I'm hiking on a high ridge with friends - hope there are still some flowers left! We're going to Beaver Creek to bike/hike this weekend.

EcoRover said...

Wow, tremendous Rock Rabbit (Pika, aka "Coney") photo. It's hard to get that close. I love their territorial "Cheeeeps." Pika populations are greatly diminished throughout the West, another victim of global warming.

flyingstars said...

simply beautifully captured shots....lovely!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Gorgeous vistas! Beautiful flowers! Sneezeweed? Aacchooo! lol!
Great pics of your family, too. Cute Pika!
Do you ever see any horseback riders up on those trails? They seem like they'd be perfect for trail riding.
Your so lucky to live so close to such amazing places. I love New Mexico, but Colorado holds a special place in my heart, too. The winters are the only thing that keeps me from making CO my home :)

~Lisa

Lisa Wilson said...

It's really strange that we never see horses when we are out on the trails. I know most of them allow horses, though.