Sunday, August 9, 2009

Animas Forks Ghost Town

Animas Forks is our favorite ghost town to visit. The first log cabin was built here in 1873 and within four years there was a hotel, general store, saloon, post office and 30 cabins. It was a great home base for the 450 people that were brought here by the mining in the area. The elevation is 11,160 feet, so I can't imagine how rough their winters were. This first view was taken as we came out of California Gulch.
See the sign? That means several good things begin at Animas Forks! We definitely prefer beginning Engineer Pass here instead of driving up Mineral Point trail from Ouray.
I took this last one as we started up Cinnamon Pass. Animas Forks is about a 13 mile drive northeast of Silverton up CR-2. Even though it is a dirt road, it can be reached by any passenger car and is well worth the visit.!

4 comments:

Lois said...

I've always been fascinated by ghost towns! I like those birds on the fence in the next to the last picture.

Barb said...

Lots of fixer-uppers here, Lisa! (Actually, I can't believe the buildings are still standing and in such good shape. I really like the fence picture pointing toward the peaks.

Richard said...

Love the pictures, we can not wait to get back there. If only I could get the guy we have sent money to for the condo to return my calls! Yikes.....

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yes, I can't imagine how rough the winters probably were. Those little houses don't look well insulated. hehe!

Great pics all!

~Lisa