Saturday, August 8, 2009

Camping at 11,000 Feet

When we set out to Jeep Poughkeepsie Gulch, we had a goal of camping as close as possible to Animas Forks. We were excited to find an already established campsite complete with a fire ring just below the ghost town. Gotta have smores! The moon was so bright!! Maralee didn't even think of asking for our solar powered night light.
This was the view of our campsite the next morning as we drove up Cinnamon Pass.
One more shot of our tent, at the bottom of the photo, and the Animas Forks ghost town above. The best camping experiences we have ever had have been for free!
UPDATE: I failed to mention that this is the Animas River we camped by, the same river that we rafted in Durango!! Not too far upstream from here is where the river begins.

6 comments:

Barb said...

I guess I should choose the moon shots as my favorite (they are great!) but the smores - I haven't had them in years! O Magazine (Sept 2009) - Breathing Spaces has a double spread of a peaceful scene near Telluride. Also, last night on Channel 9 news they did a clip of Main Street, Telluride, showing how windy it was there! I looked but didn't see you!

julie said...

What a perfect camp-out! I agree with Barb about the photos... love the smores one, with Garrett grinning in the background! I see you also had the gurgling creek down below the campsite... that's nice!

Lisa Wilson said...

Oh Julie! I can't believe I overlooked stating that is the Animas River! I'll add it to the blog entry.

Jacob said...

I think I'm a little jealous! How do you ever leave such a spot once you've settled in?

Tony said...

Wow, what a great spot!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I ove camping under a bright full moon, too. It's much creepier to be in the woods when it's dark and no moonlight at all. I always imagine scary noises and glowing eyes watching me if I have to get out to go potty. lol!

And I am all over those S'Mores. We're going to have to get out there and go camping just so we can make S'Mores. Yummo!

~Lisa