Sunday, August 16, 2009

Fun Around Cañon City

We camped at the Royal Gorge KOA last week because they had a lot of fun things for the kids to do. It was $5 to ride the giant slide all day. We did learn how important it is to stay sitting down facing forward on the slide as a little boy decided to turn around halfway down and cut his forehead open just above his eye! I was worried about them on the slide after that happened.
KOA miniature golf.
The girls and I had to find something to do when Jay and Garrett went on their full day rafting trip. We needed a few things at Wal-Mart, but to make it a little more exciting, I drove the girls over Skyline Drive.
We went back to the Gorge and road the little train.
The view of the Royal Gorge Bridge from the Royal Gorge Scenic Railway.
Then we went to Buckskin Joe's, which is a replica of an 1860's frontier town. We saw two shoot-outs and two magic shows that afternoon.
At the restaurant, I had a HUGE and delicious burrito.
This little donkey looked tired and must have been trying to get out of the hot sun.
My dad has photos of me and my little brother like this one.
A couple of videos of the kids riding the giant slide. video

video

6 comments:

~Cheryl said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time! Skyline Drive was probably a piece of cake for you....it's been eons since I've gone over that. The last time was when I was driving & I thought I'd die. Up until that time, I thougt it was a blast to go over Skyline. It must be one of those "as you get older" things.

Lois said...

I haven't seen one of those giant slides in years! What fun!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I've always wanted to go back and visit the Royal Gorge Bridge. Your pictures were great, but I'm sure they don't do the place justice, eh?
That little donkey is so cute! And that frontier town looked like fun. I would have love to eat a burrito with ya. Do they serve green chile, too?

~Lisa

Lisa Wilson said...

Hey Lisa, I had green chile on the huge burrito! It was great!

Barb said...

Hi Lisa,
Just catching up with you - looks as though your trip to Royal Gorge was fun and action-packed! Happy 12th b-day to Savanna! Is town busy just now? Breck has become more quiet during the week.

EcoRover said...

Wonderful, these summer days & family vacations. What a slide. Our friends near Lava H.S. in Idaho have a new, big slide like that--guess we'll be visiting.