Friday, October 16, 2009

Spruce Tree House - Mesa Verde National Park

This week I went on Maralee's third grade overnight trip and was lucky to visit one of my favorite places! I love the Spruce Tree House cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde National Park. If you watched the Ken Burns series on PBS, The National Parks: America's Best Idea, you know that Mesa Verde became a National Park in 1906 and was the first National Park established to preserve man-made wonders. I have visited Mesa Verde several times in my life. I was really young the first time my parents and grandparents took me there. It has always been a fascinating place to me. I grew up with the term Anasazi Indians, which has now been changed to Ancestral Puebloans, who lived in Mesa Verde from approximately A.D. 550 to 1300. There are still some shades of autumn along the trail to the Spruce Tree House.
There is something truly magical about visiting places like this that were made so long ago.
I'm so happy to be able to share places like this with my kids, places I visited when I was young and the National Parks service protects for future generations to enjoy.
Maralee was pretending to grind corn here with a mano and metate. She and her friends later used this in a skit they performed for the rest of the third graders.
Here I am in almost the same spot as the photo above in 1978!! Ryan must have been 1 and I was 6.

9 comments:

Jacob said...

A fascinating set of photos. It looks so familiar...is this in Arizona? I remember visiting a very similar place in northern Arizona many years ago - 1960 or 1961...

Lisa Wilson said...

This is in Colorado. The nearest town is Cortez, almost to the Four Corners. It's only a little over two hours from Telluride.

Sandy said...

I visited here when I was about 16. Funny, my picture is a little yellow too ;-)

Wayne said...

Great set Lisa! I really like the last 2 comparison shots ;)

Lois said...

I did watch the PBS series on the National Parks and really enjoyed it. What a great place for a school trip! I used to chaperone all my kids school trips, but it was usually to Disneyworld. This is actually educational!

Judy said...

Lisa, this has been so interesting! I am familiar with the story, but I had never seen the structures before! They are incredible!! And to have a photo from your childhood of the same location!! Bonus!

julie said...

Love the old/new comparison! It hasn't changed in 30 years, has it? Even the tree is still there!

EcoRover said...

LOVE the flashback of little you. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
anyhow thanks for the good read!