Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Loss of Baked in Telluride

We lost the oldest restaurant in town to a fire here last night, Baked in Telluride. It only seems fitting to blog about it since I'm sure most of my restaurant calories in Telluride were consumed here. The front porch is the only thing remaining. I'm sure rebuilding will begin as soon as possible, but it is still sad to lose an old place like this. I took this photo at lunchtime and the firemen were still having to keep water on it because the flames would start up again. Jay has been outside on the scene all day with his patrol car parked at the corner. Thank goodness no one was hurt and our fire department was able to keep surrounding structures from burning. Our fire department is completely made up of volunteers, and they do an outstanding job. The fire filled the valley so much this morning that San Miguel County put out a WENS alert.
This photo of me and Maralee was taken in January 2007. When Jay was being interviewed and testing at the Marshal's Department, the kids and I spent quite a bit of the day at BIT. Maralee was planning on their cupcakes for her birthday in a couple of weeks.
This is the photo I took earlier this winter and included it in my 2010 Telluride calendar.
One more BIT photo taken on a bright sunny day last summer. I can't wait to eat there again!

7 comments:

Lois said...

I haven't been to Telluride in a long time, but even I remember Baked in Telluride! It's so sad, but I'll bet the new one will be even better and no one can take away the memories.

motoroz said...

I ate there for the first time this summer. My sister and her family eat there every time they are in Telluride. They vacation in the Ouray/Telluride/Lake City area every even # year. They were so sad when I called them and told them.
Hope the place is rebuilt.

Barb said...

Too bad, Lisa, that this landmark bakery and structure burned! It's amazing that they could contain the flames to that building. I imagine you'll have a busy Presidents Weekend in Telluride. Have fun with your Family!

EcoRover said...

So sad to lose a favorie place. Glad everyone was OK, and hope they're rebuilt for summer. Was tempted to make a bad joke about "getting baked," but that wouldn't be nice!

motoroz said...

How are things going in the rebuilding of Baked in Telluride?

Lisa Wilson said...

I haven't heard anything about rebuilding in quite awhile. It's still just dirt at the site. :(

motoroz said...

My sister and family will be very disappointed in July if it is not open. They are the ones who told me to try it. They love it.