Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sunset Hike in the Grand Canyon

I think because the Grand Canyon is seen in photographs and art so much, it doesn't really seem that real unless you hike down into it, even just a little bit. We hiked about 1.5 miles down the South Kaibab Trail with a goal of getting to Ooh Aah Point. Jay and Garrett went further down to Cedar Ridge. The wind was terrible that day with gusts up to 45 miles an hour, so the girls and I just sat for awhile instead of going as far as Jay and Garrett.
Of course, now that we have hiked a little bit into the canyon, we want to go back sometime and hike all the way down and camp in Phantom Ranch. We will wait until Maralee is a little older and see how she does on our long hikes this summer. Maralee is 10 now, but she did an 8 mile hike last summer with quite an elevation gain, and she hiked her first 14er when she was 8. We would definitely plan it in the spring or fall to avoid the heat.
Panoramic photo! Click on it to see it bigger.
I think this one is my favorite photo of the whole trip.

6 comments:

Lois said...

The late afternoon light really does bring out the colors! It is reminding me of a sunset tour I took of Monument Valley several years ago. Very dramatic colors and shadows made for some great pictures. I love the panoramic shot!

Barb said...

Great Canyon photos, Lisa - a place I love. I backpacked into and through the Canyon for 7 days one spring. It was VERY hot most of the time, but when we came out it hailed and snowed. We were almost hypothermic!

Kelli said...

Looks like fun!!! Great pictures!

G said...

I remember having the exact same feeling of it not being quite real when I visited the Grand Canyon, now over 20 years ago (how time flies ;-) ). Like you I hiked down the trail. It was an experience never to forget.

Love your photographs.

Tomba said...

Very nice pictures I loved it...

pls take a look mine hiking blog from bosnia.. :)

http://www.premavrhu.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

I agree the best way to experience the Grand Canyon is to actually hike into the Canyon. I love how you made this a family trip. I am getting ready for my first Grand Canyon hiking trip with a friend and a group, Just Roughin' It. I think for my first hike going with experienced hikers is best. I hope you guys get to finish the hike once your daughter gets a little older. I hear camping in the Grand Canyon is an experience like no other.