Wednesday, June 8, 2011

That Famous Big Hole in the Ground

We finally made the six hour trip to Grand Canyon National Park. It is so close to us, yet we never have taken the time to go there. We tend to visit places with much less people, like last summer when we went to the Needles District of Canyonlands and only saw five people. The Grand Canyon was busy, but everyone was pretty spread out all over the park. I've never seen so many cameras in my life! Here are several photos of one of the most photographed places in the world.
Our first stop was at the Desert View Watchtower.
The rest of these photos are from the viewpoints around the South Rim.
Looking down at one of the switchbacks of the Bright Angel Trail.
Zooming in on the Colorado River.
On the right is the Desert Watchtower.
Lastly, here are a few really touristy photos of us!
Don't worry, Maralee and I didn't let anyone get too close to the edge!
Maralee on the steps of the Bright Angel Lodge.

4 comments:

~Cheryl said...

A "Grand" time was had by all. Your beautiful photos make me want to go enjoy this park again. It really is an amazing place.

motoroz said...

Isn't that a great area. Visited about 20 years ago. Want to ride my motorcycles out there and hope to next summer. Great photos.

DaveO said...

Beautiful and stunning! Don't know why i haven't traveled to the Canyon more often, when it's 4.5 hours away!

Lois said...

Wonderful pictures Lisa! The Grand Canyon is one of most beautiful places I have ever visited. The last time I was there was in the wintertime and there were hardly any people at all. I got talked into taking one of those airplane tours and I was really scared but so glad I did it. We were able to see the entire canyon, including the north rim covered in snow :)