Monday, August 1, 2011

Mesa Verde National Park

Summer came late to Telluride and now the monsoon season storms are lasting a little longer than just an afternoon shower, especially on our days off. Last week I picked a place to visit that I knew would have a very low chance of rain. I love going to Mesa Verde.
First stop was the Spruce Tree House, the easiest tour in the park. I think the cliff dwellings are fascinating, built by the Ancestral Puebloans (formerly known as Anasazis) who lived in this area from 600 to 1300 A.D.
We went on past the Spruce Tree House to hike the Petroglyph Point Trail. It is a 3-mile loop and is the only trail in the park to see petroglyphs. It's a fun hike with a several rocky areas to maneuver through.
I downloaded a new setting into my camera called "Toy." I like what it does with color.
You can click on the photo and make it larger to see more detail of the petroglyphs.
Wildfires are commonly caused by lightning on top of the mesa and the evidence can be seen everywhere.
Here is a shot of the Cliff Palace. It is a ranger guided hike that we didn't have time for, but we did go to the overlook.

No comments: